MIT Investment Management Company (“MITIMCo”) is a department within MIT that manages over $18 billion for the Institute’s endowment, retirement plan and other pools of capital and approximately $2 billion in Cambridge real estate holdings on a gross value basis. The Senior Legal & Compliance Analyst will work closely with MITIMCo’s Director of Real Estate Legal Services in collaboration with the Cambridge Real Estate and Operations Teams, and MIT’s Office of the General Counsel to provide MITIMCo with first class legal support. MITIMCo’s Cambridge Real Estate Group is responsible for developing and maintaining a high profile, complex and dynamic real estate portfolio including the Kendall Square Initiative, a vibrant mixed-use district featuring six new buildings, three for research and development, two for housing, and one for retail and office space. These new buildings are in addition to approximately 8 million square feet spread out over 100 different buildings. No two days will be the same as the legal team navigates a myriad of legal issues confronting the Cambridge Real Estate professionals and Operations Team members.
The Legal Services Associate will manage key processes that are imperative to the legal team successfully supporting MITIMCo’s Cambridge Real Estate team. The Legal Services Associate will be responsible for overseeing construction and design contracting efforts across MITIMCo’s portfolio; handling risk management matters, including the review and coordination of insurance matters and related indemnities in design, construction and consultant contracts; providing legal support for the design and construction efforts of MITIMCo’s development and asset management teams; coordinating the review of numerous consultant contracts on a weekly basis (including, without limitation, contracts for environmental consultants, master planners, architects and contractors) as well as spotting key legal issues and managing the consultant contracting process; managing the efforts of outside counsel in areas of responsibility; devising and implementing strategies for identifying and processing large volumes of documents and information, especially electronically-stored documents and information; coordinating and managing paper and electronic document collection, review and production by working with document custodians; assisting in the preparation of materials for real estate transactions and consultant contracts; and other special projects as assigned.
The Legal Services Associate will demonstrate strong communication and writing skills, the ability to prioritize their own work, meet tight deadlines, work under pressure, respond to different MITIMCo constituencies with differing focuses, be highly attentive to detail and adjust easily to shifting priorities. Strong organizational, writing and communication skills are essential.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
• Draft, negotiate, and assist with a variety of documents including, but not limited to: construction contracts, design contracts, consultant contracts, amendments to lease, assignment/subletting consent agreements, lease termination agreements, letters of intent, confidentiality agreements, brokerage agreements, and license agreements.
• Assist with and assume responsibility for various aspects of construction, design and consultant contracting efforts.
• Support MITIMCo’s development and asset management teams to address legal issues related to design and construction projects.
• Handle risk management matters with focus on insurance requirements and the development of general insurance policies.
• Consult with and advise property management staff with respect to service contracts, tenant matters and third-party management issues.
• Assist with acquisition due diligence reviews including, title, zoning requirements, and tenant leases.
• Prepare documentation for dispositions including drafting transfer documents and collecting and organizing tenant leases, title documents, zoning materials and environmental reports.
• Assist with real estate financings, including obtaining tenant estoppels, title insurance, surveys, environment reports and dealing with other lender due diligence requirements.
• Coordinate with the Office of the General Counsel on law firm conflict waivers and law firm engagement letters.
• Research various legal and compliance issues, particularly newly promulgated rules and regulations.
• Will report to the Director of Legal and Compliance (Real Estate).
• Ability to work independently is required.
Qualifications & Skills
• 10+ years of experience and expertise in assisting busy lawyers and business teams; or J.D. Degree and 5+ years of experience in complex legal matters related to design and construction contracts, specifically in an in-house legal office or in a law firm
• Bachelor’s degree required, with demonstrated history of excellence
• Advanced problem solving skill to resolve ambiguous, complex, and multi- variable problems
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to organize and manage multiple projects and prioritize competing needs of the office
• Strong Microsoft Office skills
• Keen judgment
How do you apply?
Apply through MITs online job bank via the following link:
http://jobs.mit.edu/external and enter Keyword MITIMCo
Please note that MIT does not provide visa sponsorship for technical, administrative, or library full-time or part-time regular positions. Additionally, MIT does not provide visa sponsorship to recent graduates and practicing professionals for internship training, practical experiences, or other non-teaching, non-research affiliations.