The Operations Administrator will manage the MITIMCo’s office services team to support MITIMCo’s overall effectiveness, including financial operations, office services, and administrative effectiveness activities. The Administrator will be responsible for providing comprehensive financial and administrative services, including budget and financial operations management, administrative initiatives, and office space planning functions. As Administrator, the position will align and integrate MITIMCo’s office services functions to ensure consistency, continuity, inclusion, and engagement across the office. The role will manage the Office Assistant and Receptionist in support of these functions. The Administrator will evaluate and analyze departmental administrative processes and, if needed, recommend solutions to enhance customer service and to maximize efficiency and cost-effectiveness. The position will partner on or lead various ongoing department initiatives.
Lastly, the Operations Administrator will provide administrative support directly to the Chief Financial Officer. Responsibilities include providing assistance in scheduling internal and external meetings, as well as booking and managing travel, processing reimbursements within tight deadlines. Additional duties include preparing and organizing meeting materials, and updating trip and meeting information to our in- house system. This position requires the ability to exercise discretion, prioritize work and to perform well under pressure with time deadlines.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
• Collaborates and partners closely with MITIMCo’s office services team on a variety MITIMCO initiatives, including financial operations, office services, and administrative effectiveness activities.
• Oversees overall departmental office services, including facility maintenance, office purchasing and supply ordering.
• Oversees all space and building relationships, including any space renovations/modifications, seating allocations, and serve as primary liaison with MITIMCo’s building management (JLL).
• Will lead and partner with CFO and HR in the enhancement and maintenance of MITIMCo’s emergency response/evacuation plan and serve as MITIMCo liaison with the building management company and the MIT Emergency Operations Center Team.
• In collaboration with MITIMCo IT, will participate in ongoing assessments and evaluations of technology and/or decisions related to large scale office equipment purchasing.
• Manage and develop Office Assistant and Receptionist to accomplish goals and drive results as they relate to office services and financial operations of MITIMCo.
• Lead ad hoc projects as assigned in support of the CFO and MITIMCo office services. Projects may include PowerPoint presentations, collaboration tools, branding, office design, etc.
• Manages, administers and oversees MITIMCo’s overall budget, including implementing and supporting quarterly budget monitoring, as well as providing comprehensive, collaborative financial support across MITIMCo.
• Develops annual departmental budget proposals both for MIT and the MITIMCo Board of Directors, as well as developing documentation and approval and allocation processes.
• Oversees, monitors and evaluates all general operating accounts and cost objects administered in MITIMCo, ensuring accuracy of data.
• Establishes and oversees systematic invoice processing for accounts payable to ensure timely payment to MITIMCo vendors with support from the Office Assistant to execute processing.
• Approves expenditures via Buy2Pay (a.k.a. Coupa) and ensures that operational funds are being used most effectively and for intended purposes.
• Oversees MITIMCo procurement card and travel card administration with support from the Receptionist.
Support to CFO:
• Act as gatekeeper for the CFO’s calendar by proactively managing meetings, lunches/dinners, and changes in location or reservations. This will include coordinating with high-level MIT administrators and executives, as well as external non-MIT contacts.
• Coordinate travel including flights, hotels, trains and car service. Prepare travel itineraries and communicate all plans to appropriate parties via Outlook calendar or email. Be available to correct problems that may occur during travel.
• Using Concur (in house application), process all expense reimbursements on a timely basis.
• Answer, forward or address phone calls as needed.
• Open, sort and distribute mail.
• When appropriate, provide back-up support to other Operations teams.
Will supervise at least 2 staff members.
Qualifications & Skills:
• 2+ years of administration experience, as well as 5+ years of administrative support experience, preferably for senior level management. People management experience preferred. Accounts payable experience a plus.
• Bachelor degree preferred.
• Strong computer skills, specifically with Microsoft Office Suite: (Word, Excel, Outlook and
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (verbal & written)
• Highly effective collaboration skills and a strong orientation to working in a team environment.
• Demonstrated analytical skills, planning abilities, process management and attention to detail.
• Ability to resolve complex problems in a thorough and timely manner determining the appropriate
course of action with minimal supervision.
• Demonstrated experience handling highly sensitive and confidential matters discreetly and using
• Proven ability to interface with all levels of staff through executive management
• Thrives when having to multi-task and offers flexibility to accommodate changing priorities.
• Proactive – willing to suggest improvements and refinements to improve overall effectiveness of the
team. Follow-through on enhancements and suggestions.
How do you apply?
Apply through MITs online job bank via the following link: http://jobs.mit.edu/external and enter Keyword MITIMCo
Please note that MIT does not provide visa sponsorship for technical, administrative, or library full-time or part-time regular positions. Additionally, MIT does not provide visa sponsorship to recent graduates and practicing professionals for internship training, practical experiences, or other non-teaching, non-research affiliations.