The Infrastructure Services Analyst acts as the primary operations and support engineer for MITIMCo’s desktop, server, vendor application, cloud resources, audio/visual and other technology platforms used at MITIMCo. The position is responsible for delivering support services to consumers of MITIMCo’s technology assets in addition to the monitoring of our production application environments and supporting the Manager of Infrastructure Services in various projects related to the architecture and operations of MITIMCo’s technology infrastructure. This is a service oriented role and will require an on-site office presence during core business hours.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
• As a key representative of MITIMCo’s Information Technology team, manage and support MITIMCo’s ecosystem of servers and networks, applications and database, as well as technology equipment, to provide a high-availability computing environment and superior end user satisfaction.
• Provide in-person help to fix software and hardware problems on all endpoints (desktops, laptops, mobile phones, tablets, audio-visual systems, desk phones, printers, and scanners) as they arise throughout the day, as well as support off-site staff as they work remotely, potentially in other time zones and outside business hours.
• Support visitors to the office, including support of on-line meeting and collaboration software, networking issues with non-MITIMCo laptops, and audio-visual cabling, projection, and cameras.
• Monitor, diagnose and resolve issues related to network security, identifying gaps or potential breaches. Pro-actively research and deliver improvements to MITIMCo’s security profile.
• Monitor, support and maintain regular enterprise backup and restore procedures, including backups of server images, file systems, databases and desktops.
• Work closely with MIT Information Systems and Technology (IS&T) to optimize how the group can provide infrastructure, issue resolution, tools, support or training.
• Install and maintain desktop software including anti-virus software and security updates, as well as operating systems and application updates on PCs, laptops, and mobile devices and deploy as needed
• Maintain authentication and authorization configurations through Active Directory or Moira, as well user access control lists and configurations for local and hosted applications
• Occasionally build and configure new servers to support new enterprise applications or database features, including install and configure applications with support from vendor or from within MITIMCo.
• Develop, execute and refine on-boarding and off-boarding procedures as people are hired or leave
• Establish and follow a maintenance schedule to take down, erase, recycle and replace hardware endpoints as they reach end of life
• Engage with hardware and software vendors to discuss licensing, software updates, or other issues asthey arise
• Diagnose and test recurring hardware or software problems and deliver solutions Analyze, diagnose,test, and resolve network- or server-related issues and hardware or software problems, including test and evaluating systems to eliminate problems and make improvements, recording issues and resolutions in a log and periodically reporting on trends.
• Manage and maintain technology equipment across the office, including inventory, deployment and related engagements with vendors and carriers (e.g. audio-visual equipment in meeting rooms, mobile devices, computers, monitors, printers, scanners, fax, laptops and mobile devices).
• Analyze prior help desk requests to identify and propose new training and/or proactive technology improvements.
• Provide occasional training on subjects of interest—i.e., mobile security, network connectivity, features of common desktop applications, new operating system features.
• Contribute to the disaster-recovery/business continuity plan by focusing on endpoint support portions of the plan. Actively participate in periodic DR/BC testing and provide recommendations for potential improvements, including conducting research and testing of procedures, technologies to support the office during a business continuity event.
• Compose and disseminate help documentation, FAQs, white papers, handbooks, best practices, release notes, and other information of interest.
• Pro-actively conduct research, testing and comparisons and provide recommendations for hardware and software tools that will improve MITIMCo’s network, server, storage, and security infrastructure, as well as those that will directly benefit the work experience of MITIMCo staff.
• Will report to the Manager, Infrastructure Services.
• Ability to work independently is required.
Qualifications & Skills:
• At least 5 years of relevant infrastructure experience in small to mid-sized organization. Familiarity with finance industry a plus. Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline preferred.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Operating Systems, local and wide-area networking, storage, virtualization, enterprise application support, and database support is preferred. Includes Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL Server (on premise, cloud and hybrid environments.
• Dedication to delivering professional and thoughtful support to every member of staff on every service call, no matter how simple or obvious the resolution.
• Proven high quality interpersonal skills, backed up by prior employer recommendation
• Ability to communicate in clear, well-organized, non-technical English both verbally and in writing
• Providing systems support in a virtualized Windows environment, including proven experience with
networking and storage services, diagnosis and resolution of operating-system level issues.
• Networking topology and security architecture for on-premises, public cloud and hybrid environments
in a Windows environment.
• Monitoring and support of serverless or micro services based applications (Azure, AWS or similar)
• Availability to provide occasional support calls outside of normal Eastern Time business hours.
• Ability to move objects weighing 10 to 20 lbs.
How do you apply?
Apply through MITs online job bank via the following link: http://jobs.mit.edu/external and enter Keyword MITIMCo
Please note that MIT does not provide visa sponsorship for technical, administrative, or library full-time or part-time regular positions. Additionally, MIT does not provide visa sponsorship to recent graduates and practicing professionals for internship training, practical experiences, or other non-teaching, non-research affiliations.